2014-2015 Scholarship applications now available
Deadline: April 1, 2014
Important Notes & Instructions:
- The USC Latino Alumni Association provides partial-tuition scholarships to USC undergraduate and graduate students who have demonstrated a strong commitment to the Latino/Hispanic community. Graduate scholarships are for Master’s candidates only and limited awards for Juris Doctor & Medical Doctor candidates. At this time USC LAA does not fund on line Master’s degree programs, Doctorate programs (Ed.D. & Ph.D. programs).
- Scholarship awards range from $500 to $5,000 per academic year for undergraduate students and $1,000 to $5,000 per academic year for graduate students. Scholars receive 50% of their award for the fall semester and 50% for the spring semester.
- A completed application and all required materials must be submitted to the USC Latino Alumni Association by April 1, 2014. Applications must be postmarked by this date; no late applications will be accepted.
- Students will receive notification of awards in July or August. However, no regret letters will be sent.
- All decisions by the Scholarship Committee are final and irrevocable.
The USC Alumni Association considers a number of factors when deciding on scholarship awardees, including a student’s involvement in activities and service at USC and in the community. We are particularly interested in funding students who have demonstrated a commitment to the Latino community, who have shown leadership potential and who have exceptional academic and professional potential.
Scholarship applicants must be enrolled as full-time students: Undergraduate students must complete a minimum of 12 units per semester with a 3.0 cumulative GPA and graduate students must complete a minimum of 8 units per semester with a cumulative 3.0 GPA.
Our awards are intended to supplement other sources of financial aid. Students must apply and be eligible for other financial aid resources, such as CSS/PROFILE, FAFSA, USC financial aid, student loans and college work-study. Our scholarships will alleviate part of students’ work-study or subsidized loans (such as the Subsidized Stafford, Perkins or Gate loans). The USC Financial Aid Office will evaluate each applicant’s financial aid status. A needs assessment and overall financial aid package will be evaluated to determine the amount of assistance provided by the USC Latino Alumni Association.
Undergraduate students who are awarded scholarships must complete 10 credits of volunteer service/involvement with USC Latino Alumni Association for the 2014-2015 academic year. Scholars must register with the USC Career Center.
The USC Latino Alumni Association expects that, upon graduation, scholarship recipients will become members of the association. Therefore, special consideration is given to scholarship recipients who remain actively involved with the USC Office of Latino Alumni Association and participate in USC Latino Alumni Association activities. Students who have received a scholarship in the past will be given priority consideration for an award. However, continuing USC Latino Alumni scholars must still submit a completed application package, and the association is not obligated to fund all former recipients.
How to Apply
If you are an incoming freshman, incoming transfer student or continuing USC undergraduate student who has never been awarded the USC Latino Alumni Association scholarship, please complete the LAA-new-scholar-undergraduate-application 2014 for New Undergraduate applicants.
If you are a graduate student, please fill out the LAA-graduate-scholar-application-2014, application for Graduate students regardless of whether you have previously been awarded the scholarship.
To download the USC LAA Undergraduate application 2014-15 Click here.
To download the USC LAA Gradaute application 2014-15 Click here.
Your application packet must contain the following:
- Completed, signed application form
- Personal statement
- 2 Letters of recommendation (required for all applicants )
- Official transcripts (required for all applicants)
Send your completed application and all required materials, postmarked by April 1, 2014, to:
USC Latino Alumni Association Scholarship Committee
3607 Trousdale Parkway
Ronald Tutor Campus Center, Room 324
Los Angeles, CA 90089-3104
Faxed or emailed applications will not be accepted.